Saturday, December 22, 2007

A Little Christmas Treat

We're coming down to the wire on the Christmas knitting--I am working the toe of the last sock and the collar of the last sweater. I actually may have things done before Christmas Eve this year! There are already new projects lined up to be cast on or warped on!

Of course, not all has gone smoothly. The scarves for Miss Julia's teachers never got made. This caused great crisis and consternation Thursday night as the preparations were being made for the classroom party. So what to do? Then inspiration struck.

I had designed a little coffee cup cozy for my sister's birthday gift back in November. It was a super-quick knit, so I decided to whip up a few for the teachers. I made three in about 2 hours, and I decided that this is now my favorite last-minute gift idea. And, as a little Christmas gift to you, I'm sharing the pattern.

Coffee Cozee
Materials:25 yards worsted weight yarn
Needles:4.5 mm double pointed needles
Gauge:20 st and 26 rows=10 cm (4 inches) in st st
Loosely cast on 45 stitches. Divide stitches over 3 dpns (15 st per needle) and join in the round.Work in K3 P2 rib until piece measures 7.5 cm (3 inches).
Next round: *Slip 1, K2tog, PSSO, P2* Repeat to end of round.You now have a K1P2 rib pattern established. Work in ribbing for 2.5 cm (1 inch).
Bind off VERY loosely.

That's it! This will fit most large to extra-large take-out coffee cups, as well as reusable mugs without handles (for the green crowd). Simply slip the cozee up from the bottom of the mug until the lower ribbing hugs the cup tightly.
We tucked a coffee shop gift card and a baggie of homemade cookies in with it, and I made a little tag explaining what it was and how to use it. A great little gift, and it took longer to bake a whole batch of cookies than it did to knit the cozee (but then, I knit fast ).
Fleece on Earth
Good Wool to All!
Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment