Wednesday, January 02, 2008

New Year, New Yarn

After a very busy and difficult year, it is wonderful to be starting fresh with 2008! And to celebrate, I spent this New Year's Eve and New Year's Day creating my own fireworks. Or, at least a yarn inspired by the colors and sparkles of New Year's fireworks. Yes, I know I'm supposed to wait for January 7, St. Distaff's Day, to resume my labors, but I just couldn't wait! Besides, this yarn wasn't labor, it was a pure pleasure!




The particulars: Two-ply worsted.
20 wpi/sock weight
5 tpi
-One single Louet Northern Lights in the "Tropical Skittles" colorway.
-One single a blend of Ashford Merino top in the "Grape Jelly" colorway.
Blended with Firestar nylon in the "Tropical" colorway.

Both singles are spun worsted, the Louet on my drop spindle and the Merino on my brand new Kromski Sonata. In my brand new studio. Yes, all kinds of changes for the new year!



Mmm, yummy!

I have cast on a pair of basic socks with the yarn. I generally use a three-ply for socks, but I wanted the color pattern in the yarn to show through, and the third ply obscured it too much. Hence the little extra bit of twist--it will serve to compensate for the missing ply and make the two plies a little more durable.

I have a list of ambitious projects for 2008, and I'm ready to roll up my sleeves and get to work! Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:49 AM

    That's a beautiful yarn Michelle! Are planning on socks? Congratualtions on the Sonata - I'll be interested in seeing a review? Also congrats on the new Studio! Happy New Year...

    ReplyDelete