Monday, April 12, 2010

Some More Stuff That Happened

March is over, we are well into April, and my life is slowly regaining some semblance of what passes for normal around here...

What just happened?

I vaguely remember a trip to Arizona, then a blur of activity.  Perhaps some sort of hypnosis will bring back memories...

Wait!  There was a trip to Edmonton.  Medical appointments and shopping.  Many articles of clothing were purchased.  That would explain the bulge in my suitcase!  Hmmm...

Oh!  Then there was a frantic week of building and installing a set for Thickwood Theatrix's production of Honk! Jr.  Not a lot of sleep, and much crawling around on the floor with a paintbrush--no wonder my mind supressed the memory!  But the set turned out wonderfully, and the production was, as always, fabulous.

Fifty-four grade 4 to 8 students in an all-quacking, all-dancing spectacular.  Every year I am amazed by the dedication of the teachers who drive this production, and by the talent and determination of the students.  Valerie Gondek, Angela Fenton, Patti Zeglen, and the administration, staff and students of Thickwood Heights School, take a bow!


Then there is a blank spot, until I find myself on a bus two days later.  I think I may have actually slept.  I'm not sure.  There may have been some packing, because...


Suddenly, I was in Fort St. John, BC!   A seminar on recycling fibres, and two days of sock spinning with a wonderful, enthusiastic group of spinners...


...who look like they had a good time.  As always, there was much spinning and exploration.  I talked myself hoarse, again.  There was good food, and wine, and laughter.  And marvelous samples all around.  I sincerely hope the participants did have much fun as I did, because I had a great time!

So, weary and silent, I made my way southward to spend some time in Vancouver with the Miss Lexi, Miss Julia, Steve, and my father-in-law.  I arrived first and had a lovely day with Miss Lexi, then the rest of the gang flew out to join us for the Easter long weekend.  Once again, much food and wine was consumed, and there were hijinks galore.  A few of the highlights...

...include the big storm that blew in on Good Friday while we were in Stanley Park.  High winds and rain pummelled the park and the city, and we went walking on the seawall.  For about 3 minutes.  While we were warming up at Prospect Point, we noticed that there was no traffic on the Lion's Gate Bridge...

...which is pretty darned unusual.  It turns out that a tree had fallen across the Causeway leading onto the bridge, totally blocking it, and access to the bridge and Stanley Park had been totally shut down.  And the tourists from Alberta were blithely strolling along, watching giant Douglas firs sway above our heads.  D'oh!We got some awesome pictures, though, and had a lot of fun.

The next day dawned a little brighter, and we ventured out to White Rock...


...where my two beautiful daughters gamely posed out at the chilly end of the pier.  The weather was not warm, but we managed to stroll the beaches and consume ice cream, anyway.  There was an unfortunate incident with a fish and chips restaurant that we like to frequent near the beach, but, in the end, we found another place that we liked even better.  And Montgomery's had deep-fried pickles!  We have a new favorite spot, all thanks to some very poor customer service.  Funny how those things work out, isn't it?

We  ventured out to Steveston for an afternoon, too.  We had never been out there before, but we will definitely go back.  Still a working fishing port, there were fresh fish and shrimp for sale off the boats, funky shops, and lots of restaurants to explore.  But the high point was definitely the Gulf of Georgia Cannery National Historic Site.  We sort of went in with our tongues in our cheeks, and shenanigans abounded...


...but it turned out to be a wonderful museum, too!  Parks Canada has done an amazing job of preserving the atmosphere and recreating the working conditions in an early 20th-century salmon cannery, and of making the exhibits interesting and entertaining at the same time.

Then, of course, we had to go to the Vancouver Aquarium...



...where more silliness occurred.


A lot of silliness.

It was a fun vacation, with all of us throwing away our worries for a whole week.  We had fun, and that's what a vacation is for. Even if the weather is dreadful. 


And that's what family is for, too.

There were the usual twisted and incomprehensible travel arrangements made for the return trip, so the others left the next day, and I followed a day after that.  We had a day in Edmonton, then decided to head home.  Which turned out to be a good idea.  We drove into some rain and wind, pursued by the same storm we had encountered in Vancouver and got home safe and sound.  Only to wake up to this...
  

...the very next morning.  Over 25 cm of snow overnight, and it just kept coming all weekend.  Our back door was impassable...


...but we ran out of coffee, so I had to venture out.  Once was enough.  I have been holed up in the studio, sorting treasures and popping out to change loads of laundry all weekend.  And spinning.

Wow, now that I take a moment to remember, I realize I did a lot in last month.  No wonder I haven't gotten any blogging or knitting done.  Uh, oh.  Now I'm home, with no adventures to distract me.   I think I have some catching up to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment