Saturday, May 22, 2010

Time

Have you noticed that time is diminishing, or am I imagining things?

Nope, I'm pretty sure time is getting smaller.

I mean, I thought I had a whole month to spend spinning and prepping for workshops.  I thought I'd get some knitting done, and keep up with the old blog.  I had great plans to do some baking, and stay on top of the laundry.  There was going to be time to hang out with friends, and have date nights with Steve.

My math isn't great, but I always thought that there were about 30 days or so each month, give or take February.  There are 24 hours in each of those days, or so we've been told.  That's 720 hours a month.  Even if you account for sleeping, which is something I haven't been doing lately,  there should still be 480 usable hours every day.  That's 28,800 minutes.  That's a lot of time.

So where did it all go?

In 28,800 minutes, I should have spun miles of singles.  I should have knit three sweaters and two pairs of socks.  I should have blogged at least once a week.  There should be stacks of pristine laundry everywhere, and freshly-baked muffins galore.  Friends and spouses should have been seen, and coffee consumed in their presence.

Instead,  I have just finished plying the Merino/silk that has been languishing on the wheel since before Christmas.  And I have half a sock knitted.  That's about what I've got to show for the last 3 weeks.

And I do not understand this, because I have been in the studio most days.  Working at the wheel.  Knitting,

Oh sure, there was the day I dug compost into the garden.  But the two achey days afterwards were spent spinning.  For hours.  And yet, so little to show for the time spent.  Where did all that time go, if not into mile after productive mile of string?

So, the only thing I can come up with is that time is shrinking.  A minute just isn't what it used to be.

That't my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree! I have the same problem with diminishing time.

    ReplyDelete